In maps it is essential to have strong command over directions and prepositions. Read below given article to find out how to use them in IELTS writing task 1:
- The cottages are to the north-west of the forest
- The A is to the southeast of the B.
- The A is to the south of the B.
- The A is to the north of the B.
- The track runs in a north-eastern direction from the cottages.
- The woodland is in the north-eastern corner of the map.
Some samples with prepositions of place
- A is beside the B.
- A is north of the country. (not in country)
- A is to the north of the country. (not in country)
- A is in the north of the country. (in country)
- A south of the river.
Several changes took place in the town of Northgate.
East of the town, there is a lake surrounded by trees.
A number of new houses were built beside the railway line.
There was a large industrial area located in the north.
A new railway was constructed which ran from north to south.
Two new hotels were erected on the banks of the river.
A large number of new villas were built beside the sea.
A yachting club was set up on the shores of the lake.
A number of wind turbines were placed in the sea, just on the coastline.